When I started blogging back in 2010 (where did the time go?!) I made a lot of my tried and true recipes that I’ve been eating for years, most of which, mum gave me and has no idea where she got them.
Moroccan lamb curry or Moroccan beef curry in the slow cooker is one of my absolute favourites. Even when I was the world’s fussiest eater I loved this dish that mum would only make in winter. Back then we didn’t have a slow cooker, mum cooked it on the stove, but I adapted it to the slow cooker.
Not only have I adapted recipes to the slow cooker I’ve gotten mum hooked. She loves slow cooking so much she has two and when her sister was visiting from Spain a few weeks ago she bought two to take home with her! Tia Lee, here you go – a slow cooker recipe as requested.
The flavour in this North-African curry comes from a jar of mango chutney, two spoonfuls of curry powder and some lemon juice and is finished off with the meat and veges. Without fail, every time I make it I re-check the recipe thinking I must have missed something because you couldn’t believe that such a wonderful flavour comes from just a few ingredients.
You literally just throw everything in, give it a stir then put the lid on and walk away. Don’t forget to turn the slow cooker on (and check it’s plugged in – not speaking from experience of course!).
This is what you will come home/back to eight hours later. It’s so rich and luscious and so very full of flavour. The meat just melts. You really only need a spoon to eat it. I usually serve it with couscous (mashed potato for my non-cous-cous-eating husband). It freezes really well too so make up a big batch and have some on hand for easy winter dinners.
I have posted the recipe before but it’s too good not to re-share. Feel free to use lamb or beef. Enjoy!
- 500g leg lamb boned and cubed
- 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
- 2 zucchini cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots cut in chunks
- 2 capsicum cut in chunks
- juice of one lemon
- 1 jar mango chutney (fruit chutney if mango is unavailable)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 small tub natural yoghurt
- 2 cups dry couscous to serve
- Throw everything except the yoghurt in the slow cooker (veges first), mix it around, add a little water and cook on low for 8 hours.
- If the curry is a little too liquid when the time is up, take the lid off and put it on high to reduce.
- Stir through the yoghurt.
- Serve with couscous.
- This curry freezes very well. I've frozen it with the couscous and on its own.