Dinner this week has been through bursts of cook-a-fab-new-recipe to whatever’s-in-the-freezer. I managed to pick up a bit of a bug in Melbourne and have either felt like I couldn’t be bothered lifting myself off the couch or like I really wanted to cook something super healthy and yummy to make myself feel better.
Tuesday night was a freezer night. I always like to have my freezer stocked with easy and quick dinners for lazy or sick nights. The slow cooker is definitely my friend when it comes to freezer stocking. There are always a few extra serves to cryovac and stash away.
I was very happy to find a pouch of chicken cacciatore sauce in there that I made last week.
I have to admit, when I saw how few ingredients there were in this recipe, that I found on Skinny Taste, I doubted it would be too tasty. I was already thinking of other things to add to it to boost the flavour but I was pleasantly surprised and all I had to add was a little bit of tomato paste.
It’s a nice and light pasta sauce that won’t leave you feeling stuffed. Plus, it freezes well (just the sauce) for dinner in a hurry. The best part – it’s a throw-it-all-in-the-slow-cooker-and-walk-away meal.
You can see why I had my doubts can’t you? Somehow this combination works together to create something really tasty.
Ok I wasn’t telling the whole truth. You will need to season the chicken breasts before you put them in the slow cooker but then just throw everything in, give it a quick stir to distribute it all around then it’s on with the lid and leave it to cook on low for eight hours (or high for 4 if you’re in a hurry).
When the eight hours are up, use two forks to shred the chicken up. I didn’t even bother taking it out of the slow cooker to shred. Then turn the heat up to high and let it simmer without the lid for another hour for the sauce to thicken.
My only mistake with this was trying to be super healthy and have it with wholemeal pasta. Me no likey. Some might disagree but I think wholemeal pasta tastes a lot like cardboard. It was much better over nice white pasta.
Serve it up with a little sprinkling of grated parmesan for a delicious, light dinner. Enjoy!
What about you? What do you always have in your freezer?
- 2 large, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 x 400g can diced tomato
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red capsicum cut into strips
- 1 green capsicum cut into strips
- 1 small brown onion, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Season the chicken fillets with salt and pepper and pop them the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, capsicum, oregano and pay leaf then stir it all together a little.
- Put the lid on top and cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Take the lid off and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Stir it all together and turn the heat to high and let the sauce thicken, without the lid, for one hour.
- Serve over pasta.
The calories are for the sauce on its own. Add the pasta to your calorie count.
Amount Per Serving Calories 120
Need dinner ideas & can't get to the shops?
Hi, I'm Claire. I'd love to send you a free copy of my eBook '12 ingredients, 11 recipes.'
Learn to to create 11 easy, tasty meals using just 12 basic ingredients from your pantry & freezer - no running to the shops.