Learn how to make icing sugar (or confectioner’s sugar) from scratch at home with just 2 ingredients in your food processor (in 60 seconds).
How to make icing sugar from scratch
Do you need icing sugar for a recipe but just realised you don’t have any?
Have you got a blender, food processor or Thermomix and some kind of sugar?
You’re all set because you’re about to learn how to make confectioner’s sugar from scratch in just 60 seconds.
What is icing sugar?
It is finely powdered sugar that’s used in baking.
Confectioner’s or powdered sugar are other names for icing sugar.
What do you need to make powdered sugar at home?
To make your own confectioner’s sugar you will need:
Sugar – to make icing sugar you can use caster, regular, raw or even rapadura (it won’t be white) sugar.
Blender – a food processor, high-powered blender or Thermomix will all do the job.
Corn flour – this one is optional but will help keep the sugar super fine if you’re going to store it for any period of time. Leave it out if you’re using it straight away.
Steps for making powdered sugar
- Measure out one cup of sugar into the bowl of a food processor, Thermomix or jug of a blender.
- If using, add 1 tablespoon of corn flour.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until powdered – it will be super smooth when you rub it between your fingers.
- Use in your recipe or store in an airtight container.
A few recipe ideas to use your creation
- The buttercream icing that tops vanilla cupcakes.
- Chocolate icing atop the simple, kid-friendly chocolate cake (a great recipe for kids to bake themselves).
- Royal icing on the best ever gingerbread biscuits.
- As a dusting on top of the best ever brownies.
How to make icing sugar
Icing sugar aka confectioner's or powdered sugar.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Place the ingredients in a blender, food processor or Thermomix and blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds or until it forms a fine powder.
- Use straight away or store in an air-tight container.
Corn flour can be excluded if the icing sugar is being used right away.
More cupcake recipes
About The Author
Nutrition and Wellness Coach, mum of 3 and creator of Claire K Creations, Claire Cameron is passionate about simplifying natural living for busy families.
Through good food, natural products & simple living she'll help you achieve better health and a happier planet in a quick, easy & affordable (but not hippie!) way.
Don't forget to grab your free eBook 12 Ingredients, 11 Recipes.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to share it and tag me @clairekcreations .
Bread Baking 101
Learn how to make your own bread to save money, reduce preservatives & additives & improve your family’s health (in way less time than you think).
No bread maker or special equipment required!
Now with BONUS Sourdough course & FREE starter (in Australia).
For starter purchase outside of Ausralia click here.
The Natural Life Academy Shop
Don't forget to check out our shop The Natural Life Academy.
We have 20% off store-wide until Mother's Day.
We sell classic recipe cards, recipe card boxes and help you feed your family good food, affordably.