Looking for an easy homemade vanilla cupcake recipe that tastes delicious. Look no further. These simple vanilla cupcakes are fluffy and moist (and can be made into healthy cupcakes with a few substitutions).
Super quick and simple vanilla cupcakes
There are a million and one vanilla cupcake recipes out there on the interwebs but here’s why you can stop searching for recipes:
- They’re an all-in recipe. You throw it all in the bowl, mix and bake. Practically fool-proof.
- They’re light and fluffy and delicious.
- Vanilla cupcakes that still taste fresh two days later? Yep that’s these.
Ingredients needed to make simple vanilla cupcakes
These simple vanilla cupcakes are pretty standard in their ingredients but have one surprise.
Bare with me, the first time I saw it I doubted it but now many many batches in, I know it might be the key to their success.
- ORANGE JUICE – Yep the secret ingredient. Don’t worry, you can’t taste the orange juice.
- EGGS – help bind the ingredients and add richness
- BUTTER – I’m not a fan of using margarine or vegetable oil in my baking. I prefer pure ingredients.
- SUGAR – Caster sugar or if you want to make them a little healthier, use Rapadura sugar.
- FLOUR – You can use regular flour or for a healthier version, wholemeal or spelt flour.
- BAKING POWDER – don’t forget this one, it helps the cupcakes rise.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – You can’t make vanilla cupcakes without vanilla. Go for extract (or scrape the inside of a vanilla bean) over vanilla essence.
Tips for PERFECT vanilla cupcakes
- Room Temperature Ingredients – look I have to admit, I am often guilty of using ingredients straight from the fridge, but if you want them to be perfect, it helps if everything is at room temp – eggs, butter & OJ
- Precise Measuring – it’s best to be precise when measuring the ingredients for perfect vanilla cupcakes.
- Don’t Put Too Much Batter In – If you fill them more than 2/3 of the way they will overflow and make for messy tops (you can always cover it with icing though).
Ingredients needed to make simple vanilla cupcakes
My kids love them because it’s what they’ve grown up on but I know even myself, it took me a long time to adjust to the different sweetness when I started cooking wholefood recipes.
‘Maybe I’ll just make good, old sugary cupcakes?’ I thought.
Nope brain couldn’t handle that idea.
How to ice vanilla cupcakes
The best thing about these simple cupcakes is that they are incredibly flexible. You can change up the icing for whatever you like.
Buttercream icing is my favourite for classic vanilla cupcakes.
There are some flavouring ideas below the recipe.
Chocolate fudge icing is perfect if you want to make them a little fancier.
What are the healthier ingredients?
Rapadura Sugar is the pure juice extracted from the sugar cane (using a press), which is then cooked to evaporate off the water, whilst being stirred with paddles.
It is then seive ground to produce a grainy sugar. It has not been cooked at super high heats and spun to change it into crystals, and the molasses has not been separated from the sugar.
It is produced organically, and does not contain chemicals or anti-caking agents.
Spelt flour is flour made from spelt – a species of wheat, Triticum spelta, that is believed to have been cultivated for thousands of years, and is sometimes considered a subspecies of ordinary wheat rather than a separate species.
It has a nutty, slightly tangy flavor, but not so much that it changes the taste of things.
Connect with Claire K Creations!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Pinterest | instagram
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag @clairekcreations so I can see all the wonderful Claire K Creations recipes and creations YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, tips, tricks and tools for making life simpler, more natural and more connected and see what’s new around here (so that you never miss a new recipe, tip or trick)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Super quick wholefood vanilla cupcakes
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 free-range eggs
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar (or use caster)
- 225g wholemeal spelt flour (or wholemeal flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan forced and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- Throw all the ingredients a food processor or blender and blitz until combined and smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and then blitz again for a couple of seconds.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Ice as desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 2237Total Fat 117gSaturated Fat 67gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 43gCholesterol 641mgSodium 1639mgCarbohydrates 271gFiber 24gSugar 123gProtein 47g
You may also enjoy
The following party recipes...
Party sausage rolls
These healthy sausage rolls are always a favourite at Birthday parties (we even have them for dinner sometimes). They freeze well too so are great to make in advance.
Make your own jelly lollies
My kids LOVE lollies but I'm not so keen on the sugar and artificial colours so I make my own. They're so quick and easy and you can make whatever flavour you like.
Sugar free tomato sauce
Sausage rolls need tomato sauce (or ketchup) right? This sugar-free whole food version tastes just like the original without any nasties.