I’m going to let you in on a little secret… these cupcakes are a-ma-zing. It’s a secret because these banana cupcakes with honey and cinnamon icing are my Secret Recipe Club creation for August. I took a couple of months off while we were away/moving but I am back into it with a bang. In fact, quite unusually for me, as soon as I was allocated my blog to squirrel through – Kitchen Trial and Error – I chose a recipe and made and photographed it the next day.
How’s that for organised?
The description of banana bread-like cupcakes but with icing pretty much sold me. What could be better than banana bread than having it in cupcake form with sweet, cinnamon icing? Not a lot. Oh that is if you don’t count banana bread cupcakes fresh from the oven spread with a little icing. They smelled just so wonderful I couldn’t resist. I encourage you to do the same if you have any to spare (cook’s rights and all).
I took them to mum and dad’s house for dessert for farewell dinner (my lucky mum and sis are travelling around Europe at the moment) and even though mum was leaving the next day, she made me leave the leftovers for her breakfast. That says a lot because mum doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth and she’s really picky when it comes to baked goodies.
I must admit, like usual I had a tough time choosing a recipe. Kate (from Kitchen Trial and Error) has so many wonderful recipes and she takes great photos so I was totally sucked in. I could have looked no further than brown sugar espresso choc-chip cookies on her front page but I did my due diligence and delved a little deeper. Kate lives in New York state with her husband and beautiful baby boy and like me loves making things like bread and butter from scratch (she’s a girl after my own heart). Make sure you pop in and say hi and try out one of her recipes, but start with these cupcakes. Enjoy!
- 2¼ cups plain (AP) flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ cup mashed bananas (approximately 3-4 bananas, very ripe)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 sticks/ 1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup + ⅓ cup caster (superfine)sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 250g (1 cup/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups icing (confectioner's) sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C (350F) fan-forced and line two 12-hole muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, milk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat just until they are mixed in.
- Alternating between the dry and wet ingredients, mix in a third of the dry then a third of the wet and repeat until everything is mixed in.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Leave to rest in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the icing.
- Beat the honey, butter and cinnamon together until light and then slowly add the icing sugar.
- Continue to beat until the icing is light and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cooled, spread or pipe the icing on top.
- Store in an airtight container.