A simple recipe (really just instructions) for how to make potato chips in the microwave in just a few minutes.
Microwave potato chips
When I read this recipe the first time I thought it sounded too good to be true but admittedly I still ran to grab a potato and try it out.
It turns out you can make potato chips (crisps) in the microwave in 5 minutes.
Why make potato chips in the microwave?
- They’re so much quicker than waiting for the oven to cook and then bake them.
- They’re incredibly simple.
- Did I mention they take just 5 minutes… that’s faster than running down to your local corner shop to buy potato crisps.
- With just 2 ingredients (and your seasoning of choice) they’re much better for you than the store-bought version.
What do you need to make them?
To make these chips, all you need is:
- potato (obviously)
- oil or fat – we like to use olive oil or leftover bacon fat (sooo good!)
- seasoning of choice – we just use sea salt
- a microwave-safe plate – just a regular dinner plate will do but make sure it fits in the microwave
Which potatoes should you use?
Any sort of big dirty potato will work well for these.
Don’t use a waxy variety.
How to make potato chips in the microwave
To make potato chips in the microwave, very finely slice a potato into rounds and lay them in a single layer on an oiled microwave-safe plate.
Spray them with a little oil.
Microwave them on high for 2 minutes then take them out and flip them all over then microwave for another 2 minutes.
As they cool they will crisp up.
Sprinkle them with your favourite seasoning.
Are microwaves safe to use?
A lot of people say that microwaves do everything from give you small doses of radiation to deteriorate the nutritional quality of your food.
This is a pretty good article summarising the research. The verdict? As long as they are used as they should, they are perfectly safe.
You might also enjoy my simple but delicious potato bake.
- Seasoning - salt is our favourite
- Oil or fat (we like olive oil or bacon fat)
- Lightly grease a microwave-safe plate with oil or fat.
- Slice potatoes as finely as possible (or use a mandolin).
- Lay out in a single layer on the prepared plate.
- Sprinkle wiht a little extra oil or fat.
- Microwave for 2 minutes then flip and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Check that they're cooked through then let crisp for a minute or so.
- Transfer to a bowl, season and enjoy.