A simple recipe (really just instructions) for how to make potato chips in the microwave in just a few minutes.
Microwave potato chips
When I read this recipe the first time I thought it sounded too good to be true but admittedly I still ran to grab a potato and try it out.
It turns out you can make potato chips (crisps) in the microwave in 5 minutes.
Why make potato chips in the microwave?
- They’re so much quicker than waiting for the oven to cook and then bake them.
- They’re incredibly simple.
- Did I mention they take just 5 minutes… that’s faster than running down to your local corner shop to buy potato crisps.
- With just 2 ingredients (and your seasoning of choice) they’re much better for you than the store-bought version.
What do you need to make them?
To make these chips, all you need is:
- potato (obviously)
- oil or fat – we like to use olive oil or leftover bacon fat (sooo good!)
- seasoning of choice – we just use sea salt
- a microwave-safe plate – just a regular dinner plate will do but make sure it fits in the microwave
Which potatoes should you use?
Any sort of big dirty potato will work well for these.
Don’t use a waxy variety.
How to make potato chips in the microwave
To make potato chips in the microwave, very finely slice a potato into rounds and lay them in a single layer on an oiled microwave-safe plate.
Spray them with a little oil.
Microwave them on high for 2 minutes then take them out and flip them all over then microwave for another 2 minutes.
As they cool they will crisp up.
Sprinkle them with your favourite seasoning.
Are microwaves safe to use?
A lot of people say that microwaves do everything from give you small doses of radiation to deteriorate the nutritional quality of your food.
This is a pretty good article summarising the research. The verdict? As long as they are used as they should, they are perfectly safe.
You might also enjoy my simple but delicious potato bake.
Microwave potato chips
- Seasoning - salt is our favourite
- Oil or fat (we like olive oil or bacon fat)
- Lightly grease a microwave-safe plate with oil or fat.
- Slice potatoes as finely as possible (or use a mandolin).
- Lay out in a single layer on the prepared plate.
- Sprinkle wiht a little extra oil or fat.
- Microwave for 2 minutes then flip and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Check that they're cooked through then let crisp for a minute or so.
- Transfer to a bowl, season and enjoy.
About The Author
Nutrition and Wellness Coach, mum of 3 and creator of Claire K Creations, Claire Cameron is passionate about simplifying natural living for busy families.
Through good food, natural products & simple living she'll help you achieve better health and a happier planet in a quick, easy & affordable (but not hippie!) way.
Don't forget to grab your free eBook 12 Ingredients, 11 Recipes.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to share it and tag me @clairekcreations .
Bread Baking 101
Learn how to make your own bread to save money, reduce preservatives & additives & improve your family’s health (in way less time than you think).
No bread maker or special equipment required!
Now with BONUS Sourdough course & FREE starter (in Australia).
For starter purchase outside of Ausralia click here.
The Natural Life Academy Shop
Don't forget to check out our shop The Natural Life Academy.
We have 20% off store-wide until Mother's Day.
We sell classic recipe cards, recipe card boxes and help you feed your family good food, affordably.
I love that you have experimented and improved on this idea to make it even easier for me to make these at any time of the day or night .aaaggghH!!!
Well I tried to do these but was kind of a dismal failure! :( My microwave must be a low voltage as after 2 mins each side nothing was happening so I just kept cooking ended up being around 5 or 6 mins each side but then they started to burn! I’ll just keep playing around I think as they were yummy in the end :)
Sorry they didn’t turn out. I think it might be a bit of a temperamental recipe depending on the microwave and type of plate you use. Good luck!
Oh no, Oh no I love potato chips and all the time I have to keep myself from that isle, now that I can make my own in 5 minutes I’m in big trouble. I might have to stop buying potatoes :))
This is so awesome! I read the heading and my poor little heart skipped a beat lol. Def trying this tonight :)
I made one batch to be ready for Will when he got home for work. Then I ate them and had to make another!
OMG this is a must try! I love potato chips but can’t keep any in the house because I ahem mice eat them ;)
I love these!! I first read about them on my friend the Spice Girl’s blog – that might be what you were looking for?
Oh yes that could be it! Thank you Spice Girl!
Sounds awesome/dangerous because of the easiness/quickness of it! thanks for sharing!