I’ve been so disappointed the last couple of months because I keep missing out on the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop. I don’t know how I miss it (must have had something to do with buying a house and going overseas the last two months) but this month I am in.
Even if you don’t know what I’m talking about I’m sure you’ve assumed something with ‘sweet adventures’ in the name is bound to be good and you will have assumed correctly.
Each month, food bloggers from across the world (well at least I think, might just be us Aussies) gather and share our sweet goodies related to the month’s theme, chosen by the host. This month it’s a Sweet Surprise hosted by Love SWAH.
My recipe – lemon cupcakes with lemon curd filling – is extra special because it’s the first recipe featuring lemons picked from my very own lemon tree! I went all out in lemony goodness – lemon pound cake cupcakes, which would make a rather tasty loaf cake just on their own, are filled with homemade lemon curd, topped with lemon buttercream icing and finished with a sprinkling of lemon zest.
You would think one bite and you’d be making a face like you’d just sucked a sour warhead (anyone remember those?) but it’s not like that at all. The sweetness of the icing and the cake provides a nice balance for all that lemony goodness, I promise.
What’s the surprise? The blob of lemon curd hidden underneath the lemon buttercream icing. I’m very glad that I gave most of these away because I fear they would have all ended up in my stomach otherwise. You can use store-bought lemon curd if you like but I encourage you to try making is using Celia’s microwave recipe. It’s so very easy and quick to make. I fear I’ll be making rather often now I have a constant supply of lemons. Enjoy!
- 250g (8oz) butter
- 250g (8oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g almond meal
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Extra lemon zest for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C (320F) fan-forced and line two 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- In a food processor, process the butter, sugar and lemon zest until smooth.
- Add the egg, one at at time and mix them through.
- Scrape down the sides then add the flour and almond meal and process until smooth (you may need to scrape down the sides again so there are no dry parts).
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling make the icing.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and lemon zest together until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the icing sugar, pour in the lemon juice and increase the speed.
- Keep beating until the icing is light and fluffy.
- If the icing is too thick, add a little milk or water to thin it so you can pip it.
- When the cake have cooled, use a sharp knife to cut a cone-shaped hole in the top of each of the cupcakes.
- Spoon a half a teaspoon of lemon curd on each one.
- Using a piping bag, pipe icing on top of the cakes to cover the lemon curd.
- Sprinkle with extra lemon zest.