Please don’t think I’m crazy superwoman making and photographing all these recipes with a newborn. Seeing as he made an early appearance, I had a few recipes made up, photographed and ready to share and a bit of writing is giving my brain a break from feed baby, feed myself, sleep, repeat (that doesn’t mean I’m not loving it though!).
You know I’m not a salad lover but throw some carbs in there and you just might convince me to have a bite or two.
Add feta and I will possibly eat a bowl of the stuff. This pesto pasta salad is a regular in my group of friends. I heard the other day that one of the husbands discovered it and it is his go-to side when he cooks dinner.
Here’s why it’s so good – it has leaves and sweet potato so it’s definitely healthy. It looks pretty. It’s easy to make. It’s quite filling so you can eat it as lunch if you like or add a piece of grilled meat to make a light dinner.
I’m still going – it lasts a few days in the fridge so you can make a big batch and eat it over a couple of days if you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind eating the same thing and finally, it has pesto and feta which are a winning combination in my book.
Whenever I’m asked to bring salad, which doesn’t happen often as my friends and family usually assign me to baked goods, this is the first one I think of. Now I’ve given myself a craving.
So what about you? What’s your go-to salad? Is there something you’re always asked to bring when someone asks for a plate?
- 500g dried spiral pasta
- ½ cup pesto sauce (I made my own with homegrown basil and cashews)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 1 small sweet potato, diced and roasted
- 100g rocket or baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup toasted pinenuts (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Drain, leaving a little bit of water and transfer it to a big bowl.
- Stir through the pesto sauce and olive oil.
- Leave to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally so the pasta doesn't stick together.
- Toss through the feta, sweet potato, rocket and pinenuts and chill until serving.