If you’re looking for a recipe for cafe style banana bread then you have found it. This recipe is simple and delicious especially toasted with butter.
Cafe style banana bread
I am on a quest to find the best banana bread recipe out there and today, cafe style banana bread is on the menu. It’s one of my favourite snacks and being named after a fruit, it must be healthy right?
Ok I know it’s more like a cake in the shape of bread but that doesn’t slow my search. If you are after a low-calorie version check out my 110 calorie banana bread.
This recipe was good but super dense (if that’s what you’re after). The original recipe didn’t have walnuts either so I added them in. They’re a serious must-have in my banana bread.
Another thing I like about banana bread is that most recipes have two steps; mix the wet ingredients then mix in the dry. This is no exception.
Stir the banana, sugar, eggs, butter, buttermilk and treacle in a large bowl. I didn’t have buttermilk so I substituted it with a milk/lemon juice combo that I learned through Simple Savings.
The ratio is about 1 tsp of lemon juice to 1/3 cup of milk and leave it to sit for 5 minutes. I also used honey instead of treacle. Golden syrup is another good substitute.
Now stir through all the dry ingredients until just combined. You don’t want to over-mix banana bread batter.
Finally, add the walnuts. Of course these are optional but banana bread aint banana bread without walnuts in my opinion.
Spread the batter into the tin. I did two little taste-testers as well as my loaf. Bake the bread for about 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean. The smell of cinnamon will delight you as it bakes!
Yum! In case you’re wondering where the other cupcake is, the answer is in my stomach at that stage. I couldn’t wait to try it fresh out of the oven.
Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool. I recommend serving the banana bread toasted with butter.
Then again there aren’t many things that aren’t better toasted with butter. Enjoy!
- 125 gram (4oz) butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (400g) mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup (25g) coarsely chopped roasted walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C(320F) fan-forced. Grease a loaf pan and line it, extending the paper over the two long sides.
- Combine butter, banana, sugar, eggs and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and the walnuts then transfer the mixture to the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Need dinner ideas & can't get to the shops?
Hi, I'm Claire. I'd love to send you a free copy of my eBook '12 ingredients, 11 recipes.'
Learn to to create 11 easy, tasty meals using just 12 basic ingredients from your pantry & freezer - no running to the shops.