It all got a little bit crazy. Our new fridge was arriving on the Thursday. Tuesday I realised we actually had to get rid of the old fridge before then. I put an urgent ad on Gumtree and on Wednesday morning I had sold the fridge on the condition they could pick it up that afternoon.
They were coming at 3.45 and at 3pm I was still sitting at mother’s group when it occurred to me that the fridge was full of food and I needed to clean it out and store all the food somewhere overnight.
I raced home, put Ollie to bed (luckily he was sleepy and had a good nap) and started madly throwing things into cooler bags and stashing them in the spare fridge playing a very random game of keep, throw and use. Sadly some of the frozen things I put in the cooler bags didn’t quite make it through the night and that’s how I ended up with a piece of chorizo as inspiration for dinner.
Then I found a red onion and a near-to-dead capsicum and remembered the gorgeous little jar of saffron threads and my mind turned Spanish – Spanish chicken in the slow cooker to be precise
As soon as I started frying up the chorizo I knew it was going to be delicious and once the slow cooker started simmering away the smells confirmed it. This dish ticked all the boxes – easy, not too many ingredients, tasty and pretty healthy (you could add some extra veges to up the health content).
It also froze pretty well although if you’ve going to freeze it I’d leave out the capsicum and cook that fresh. Enjoy!
What about you? What random ingredients have inspired a meal?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of smoked garlic, finely chopped (regular garlic is ok)
- 100g chorizo, diced
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ kg chicken breast
- 1 400g (13oz) tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 capsicum, finely sliced
- Rice to serve
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil then cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until transparent.
- Add the chorizo, saffron, turmeric, paprika and pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and cook just until sealed.
- Transfer everything to the slow cooker and add the tinned tomato and tomato paste.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken fillets and shred then return to the slow cooker with the capsicum for another hour.
- Serve with rice.