I know, two posts in one day and the day after The Big One Year Old Birthday Party. Yes I’m a bit pooped but it was such a wonderful day. I will share lots more about it later in the week along with some monkey-themed recipes.
Let’s talk about this morning’s garden post for a minute. Did you notice my ridiculous over-supply of tomatoes? Seems great – in a few weeks we will have more tomatoes than we can think about right? That would be right except it seems that just when I think the tomatoes are going well, some pest will come and devour them pretty much over night.
I found the answer though – using them green. Now I’m not sure that when this recipe called for ‘green tomatoes’ it meant un-ripe ones or an actual green variety but I took it as the first option. Instead of my usual pick-the-bread-recipe for this month’s Secret Recipe Club I spiced things up (pun intended) and chose green tomato salsa.
I was assigned to Cheese with Noodles written by Anna from Alaska. Anna has some seriously good-looking recipes on her blog and I did have a hard time choosing until this one jumped out at me. I adapted the recipe for the Thermomix.
It was kind of by accident because I was using it to chop up the ingredients then figured I could use it for the whole thing. Don’t worry if you don’t have a Thermomix I’ve included instructions for doing it the old-fashioned way on the stove.
The results is a zingy, slightly spicy (feel free to add extra jalapeños if you want it hot) salsa perfect for fajitas, burritos or your favourite Mexican dish. It also makes a pretty good edible gift too. The recipe below makes 3 cups but can easily be doubled using the same timings. Enjoy!
What about you? What’s your favourite Mexican dish?
- 500g (1lb) green tomatoes
- 1 brown onion
- 1 small capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup water
- 3 slices of jarred jalapeños
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Quarter the tomatoes place in the bowl of the Thermomix.
- Chop for 2-3 seconds speed 5. (alternatively dice the tomatoes by hand)
- Remove and set aside.
- Peel and quarter the onion then add it to the Thermomix with the peeled garlic clove.
- Chop 4-5 seconds speed 5. (alternatively dice the onion and mince the garlic)
- Return the tomatoes to the bowl and add the water.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 100C speed 1 (alternatively, bring the tomato, onion, garlic and water to the boil in a medium saucepan then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until soft).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix for 3 seconds speed 5 with the MC in. (alternatively leave to cool a little then process in a blender for a few seconds)
- Pour into sterilised jars.