When I was much younger I had a Marie Claire health and beauty book. I can still picture some of the images of young girls with toned bodies and glowing skin doing cartwheels on the beach. I don’t really remember much of that book but I do remember that it had a whole page on how fantastic drinking lemon tea in the morning is for you.
Being young and impressionable, I insisted on starting my day like this for weeks but being a teenager, I soon forgot about it. I’ve gone back to it every now and then since but most recently, on my trip to South America last year, I drank it every morning religiously. Among other things, it’s said to kick-start your metabolism and help with managing weight which was just what I needed when travelling for 5 weeks just two months before the wedding.
It must have done something because despite indulging more than I should have, I came back exactly the same weight as I left (I did have a stomach bug at one stage though which might have helped).
A year later I’m back on the lemon tea bandwagon. It’s quite a morning ritual for me now. If I visit your blog in the morning, I’m most likely commenting as I sip on my lemon tea. I’ve stuck at it for three weeks now and I don’t intend on giving up.
The thing that can be rather tedious is preparing it every morning but I had a stroke of very simple genius a couple of weeks ago.
I’m sure most people will think I’m mad for suggesting this is genius but it sure changed my mornings. Now, instead of having to cut and juice and strain every morning I just pop out a lemon ice-cube and pour over some boiling water. Easy = much greater likelihood of me sticking to it.
I have the juice of half a lemon in my tea (some people just have a slice) which filled one cube perfectly. I zested all the lemons first so there was absolutely no wastage and now I have a nice little supply in my freezer ready for baking and cooking.
It also means that when lemons are in season (I hang my head in shame at buying imported lemons at the moment) you can stock up and have a healthy supply ready to go.
So why drink lemon tea in the morning? Here are just a few suggested benefits I’ve found if you drink it in the morning first thing. I’m not claiming any of these, this is just what I’ve read:
- It’s good for your stomach and digestive system. There are many specific benefits (some of which are a little yuk) but if you’re interested, Google.
- It can help with fever when you’re sick, which is probably why I always find lemon and honey to be soothing when I have a cold or flu.
- It can relax your mind and body and so reduce blood pressure because it acts as a blood purifier.
- Can help you lose weight faster.
- Reduces throat infections (see point 2 as well).
- Apparently it has anti-aging properties (because it’s so high in vitamin C) and can reduce blackheads, wrinkles and make you glow. I think this is what it said in my Marie Claire book all those years ago. I vaguely remember a very glowing face on the page.
I’m yet to see many of the benefits but at the very least, it can’t be bad for you so I’m sticking with it.
What about you? Do you have any morning rituals. Anyone who has been a regular lemon tea drinker and seen the benefits?
If you liked this post, why not subscribe and receive updates straight to your inbox?
Need dinner ideas & can't get to the shops?
Hi, I'm Claire. I'd love to send you a free copy of my eBook '12 ingredients, 11 recipes.'
Learn to to create 11 easy, tasty meals using just 12 basic ingredients from your pantry & freezer - no running to the shops.