Carrot corn and cheddar muffins are a delicious healthy lunch perfect to freeze and pop in little lunch boxes or a savoury muffin for a snack on the go.
Carrot corn and cheddar muffins
I’ve never really understood the savoury muffin.
To me it was a bit of an odd thing.
The word muffin instantly conjures up a sweet treat best enjoyed warm with a good blob of butter preferably after breakfast as breakfast dessert (yes that’s a thing).
What place do savoury muffins have?
Are they for lunch?
But they’re a muffin!
I was and still am a little confused but when I spotted this carrot corn and cheddar muffin recipe I remembered the suffering cob of corn threatening to die in the crisper and thought ‘oh why not, I’ll give this savoury muffin thing a go.’
I was pleasantly surprised.
It turns out savoury muffins do have a place in my life and the kids are rather keen on them too.
Another delicious muffin recipe is our orange, passionfruit and blueberry muffins.
I still struggle to relate them to something though – a bit like pizza, sort of, I guess?
But with carrot and corn. Ok what would you say savoury muffins are closely related to?
I should probably worry about more important things but these are the sorts of questions I often ponder (my brain never stops).
These savoury muffins are best eaten on the day you make them but they also freeze beautifully.
I just pop them all in a container then straight into the freezer.
They’re the perfect lunch for little fingers on the go.
I just grab one and throw it in a lunchbox then in the bag and it has usually defrosted by lunch time.
They’d be perfect for big and little people’s lunch boxes (maybe with salad for us big people). Enjoy!
Connect with Claire K Creations!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag @clairekcreations so I can see all the wonderful Claire K Creations recipes and creations YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in!
It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, tips, tricks and tools for making life simpler, more natural and more connected and see what’s new around here (so that you never miss a new recipe, tip or trick)!
If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- Kernels from 1 cob of corn
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ⅓ cup EV Olive oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 free-range eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C(356F) fan-forced and line a 2 12-hole muffin tins with 15 muffin cases.
- Place the corn, cheese, carrot, oil, milk and eggs in a large bowl and stir them together.
- Gently fold in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm from the oven, cold or freeze individually wrapped in plastic wrap.
- To defrost just leave on the bench or pop in a lunchbox to defrost in time for lunch.