If you’re looking for a quick sweet snack or a little something to go with your coffee then these amaretti cookies are the recipe for you. They’re sweet and nutty, gluten free and ready in 20 minutes. Like quite a few of my recipes, this one is from Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.
I didn’t take a photo of the mixing process for these because they’re just so easy! Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix it all together until everything is mixed in evenly. Roll a heaped teaspoon full of the dough into a ball and place it on a baking paper lined tray. Repeat the process for the rest of the dough and press each one down slightly. Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes or until they have browned on top. Be sure to check on them.
Leave them to sit on the tray for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Serve them with coffee, on top of dessert (they were lovely with vanilla icecream) or package them up as a gift. Enjoy!
- 500g (1.10 lbs) almond meal
- 400g (14oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160C(320F) fan-forced and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the almond meal, sugar, egg whites and vanilla together until everything is well combined.
- Roll a heaped teaspoon of mixture at a time into a ball and place it on the tray. Leave a little space between each one but don't worry too much as they don't spread. Flatten each one a little.
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on top. Leave them to sit on the trays for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire race to cool completely.