This is one of my favourite breakfasts. It’s simple, very inexpensive, delicious, low in calories and after a bit of research I’ve also discovered it has some serious health benefits. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Yes, on their own oats can be rather bland but with a little flavour from my favourite spice, cinnamon and a spoon-full of honey you’re in for a sweet delicious treat.
I’ve done a bit of reading and googling recently on the health benefits of my regular breakfast and it seems they are a plenty. We all know that an apple a day keeps the doctor away but it seems there’s more. Cinnamon has been found to control blood sugar, increase energy and circulation and one study even found that the combination of honey and cinnamon can help with weight loss. Oats in the morning are a great tool for those trying to lose weight as they fill you up and stop the dreaded 10am stomach grumble. So here’s how I do it…
Finely chop one medium-sized apple, place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom and sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir it around and simmer until the liquid has nearly all absorbed.
Add 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
Add 1/2 cup of water and 1 level teaspoon of honey and stir through.
Once all the liquid has been absorbed, remove to a bowl and top with 1/4 cup of low-fat milk and enjoy. It’s not the prettiest breakfast but it sure is delicious.
What’s you’re favourite quick breakfast?
- 1 medium-sized apple (whichever is your favourite) finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1.5oz)(41gms) of rolled oats (no need for anything expensive, the $1.10 packet of home-brand is just as good)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (4.5oz) of water
- 1/4 cup (2oz) of low-fat milk
- Place apple and cinnamon in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the base. Stir until cinnamon is distributed and simmer until water is almost absorbed.
- Add oats and 1/2 cup of water and stir. Add honey and mix through. Cook until liquid has absorbed. It needs to be stirred to stop it from sticking to the bottom.
- Remove to a bowl and add milk.
Amount Per Serving Calories 300
Need dinner ideas & can't get to the shops?
Hi, I'm Claire. I'd love to send you a free copy of my eBook '12 ingredients, 11 recipes.'
Learn to to create 11 easy, tasty meals using just 12 basic ingredients from your pantry & freezer - no running to the shops.